Will an Ind. Study in Psychology count towards my PNP major?
- **Beginning FL15, Psychology will offer Independent Study under their course #s only as Pass/Fail. If a grade is desired; an Ind. Study in PNP is an option though the professor must agree to PNP Ind. Study terms listed. In addition, Independent Study sections that do not require a paper will not be acceptable for PNP credit.
Can I take a PNP course as pass/fail?
- No, unless it is a prerequisite. Only courses taken for a letter grade can be credited toward the major or minor.
What grade do I need to receive in order to receive credit towards the major?
- A grade of a C- or higher is required of all courses that count towards the major.
How do I figure the GPA for my PNP major?
- To figure your GPA in the PNP major: use all PNP courses taken towards the major, excluding prerequisites. There are many options on the web to calculate your GPA
Can PNP majors spend time abroad during their junior year?
- Yes. PNP has a study abroad program at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. Full details are available on the PNP study abroad webpage.
I think I've found a course that is relevant to my PNP major but is not cross-listed in PNP. Can I take it towards my PNP major?
- You will need to contact the PNP administrator who can consider such requests on a case-by-case basis. Please include course #, title, description and Professor's name; if possible a syllabus is appreciated.
Can summer courses count towards my PNP major?
- Courses taken in summer school do not in normal circumstances count towards the PNP major. In exceptional circumstances they can count, but only subject to PNP administrative approval. Petitions are more likely to succeed for lower-level courses that are prerequisites for the major, rather than for upper-level courses satisfying the core, track-specific, or depth requirements. No course will be considered unless it is taught by a regular, full-time member of the faculty. Please include university/college, syllabus, and your grade in your email request.
How does the MBB program count towards the PNP major?
- MBB 120 and MBB122 count as an introductory sequence for the PNP major, so, if you have completed these classes, there is no need to take either PNP 200 (Introduction to Cognitive Science) or PNP 201 (Inquiry in the Cognitive Sciences).
- Students passing MBB 120 with a grade of B- or higher can satisfy the core Psychology requirements by taking 2 courses from the approved list that need not include PNP 360 (Cognitive Psychology) nor PNP 433 (Psychology of Language).
- MBB 300 counts for 3 units of credit towards either the Psychology core requirements or either the Psychology or Neuroscience depth requirement. You will need administrative approval of the subject matter.
The Cognitive Neuroscience course is currently listed as a 400-level course that is writing-intensive. Will I be able to take the course, if I am not a Psychology major?
- The 400-level course is a WI (Writing Intensive) course for Psychology majors. The Psychology department have committed to keeping Cognitive Neuroscience available as a 300-level course for PNP majors.
Do I need to do a capstone experience as a PNP major?
- That depends upon whether you are taking PNP as a primary major or as a second major. For students graduating with PNP as a primary major the capstone experience is mandatory. For students taking PNP as a second major the capstone is highly recommended, but not required.
What is the difference between doing an independent study in, say one of the affiliated disciplines and a PNP Honors project?
- PNP Honors projects are two-semester, 6-unit undertakings that are expected to have a substantial interdisciplinary component.
- An independent study in one of the affiliated discipline might be only 3 units and is likely to be more narrowly focused, which is why the capstone requirement includes the PNP Reading Class.
I think I want to do an Honors thesis in PNP. What should I do?
- First, check the detailed guidelines on the PNP Honors webpage. These explain what the Honors thesis involves and give a sample timeline, in addition to explaining the eligibility requirements for entry into the Honors program. The PNP Program receives a bound copy of all Honors Thesis and stores them for reference.
What do I need to do for an Independent Work/Study to count towards my capstone requirement?
- Please see the PNP Independent Study web page.
I am taking part in a research project at the Medical School. Can I use this towards the capstone experience/depth requirement in the PNP major?
- In principle, yes. This is straightforward if the project is one that falls under a Biology or Psychology 500 code. Approval from the PNP Administrator is required in order to apply a 500 level credit towards your PNP major. Regular requirements for an Independent Study apply.
I am working on a research project in the Medical School. Can I receive credit for this?
- It is in principle possible to receive credit under the PNP 500 course code. This is at the discretion of the PNP Administrator. PNP 500 is a code for independent research. Regular requirements for an Independent Study apply.