The level of Latin Honors is decided by the Thesis Committee. In accordance with Arts and Sciences guidelines, the standard ranges are as follows [unless requirements Latin Honors in Arts & Sciences differs, the College Office requirements are the default]:
Requirements changed for the class of 2015, they are as follows:
Upon certification by the department that the Honors program has been satisfactorily completed, the student may be awarded the A.B. cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude according to the following proportions: the top 15 percent in overall grade point average of Latin honors candidates who complete the necessary requirements of their major departments or programs in the College of Arts & sciences, will graduate summa cum laude; the next 35 percent magna cum laude; the next 50 percent cum laude.
The Committee's decision is based on:
- The quality of the Thesis itself and the research that lies behind it
- Performance in the Thesis Defense
- Your cumulative GPA in advanced courses in the major (through your penultimate semester)